Ducati’s latest superbike is becoming a conversation among automotive lovers of the world. Yes, the 2018 Ducati Panigale V4 MY. because this motorbike has a potential to become the best Superbike in 2018! let’s get it on!
After the engine was shown to the public some time ago, Ducati is now officially introducing its newest Superbike: Ducati Panigale V4. In addition to being the first Panigale to use the V4 engine configuration (4-cylinder) replacing the previous generation V-Twin engine (2-cylinder). This latest Superbike form Ducati brings a lot more fantastic features and claimed to have the power that would make competitors bowed by lethargic.
The V4 engine is really breaking the Panigale tradition which always used V-Twin for years. Absolutely the performance of the 4-cylinder engine is much better than the 2-cylinder engine. Besides, 4-cylinder engine will create a better sound, softer but has an amazing feel.
The 2018 Ducati Panigale V4 MY is a sport bike with a 1,103 cc. If it compared to its predecessor; the V-twin 1299, this superbike has a smaller engine cubication. However, with 4-cylinder engine, this superbike has a better power as well as wider dimension than the V-twin 1299.
Not only the dimension, but the weight is also increased. Ducati claimed that the weight is 4.5 kg (10 lb) heavier than the 1299, with foot pegs 10 mm higher. I think this is one of the disadvantages from the previous version. However, with a better power and some advances technologies, I think it doesn’t matter at all.
Apparently, Ducati does not mess with its superbike variant this time, all the MotoGP technology that may be applied to the mass production motorbike is crammed into the All-New Panigale V4 2018. A strong desire to compete in the class of superbike that can be used on the highway is not a mere fantasy. Maybe it’s a “war” signal to Kawasaki.
- Ducati V4 90 ° Desmosedici MotoGP
Not without reason, the youngest Ducati Superbike uses the V4 type with 90 °, technical solution by applying the MotoGP Desmosedici engine technology.
- Counter-rotating crankshaft
For the mass production motorcycles, usually, the rotation direction of the crankshaft on the engine is the same as the direction of the spin of the wheel. While in MotoGP uses a counter-rotating crankshaft system which means the reverse direction is the one used today on Desmosedici GP, again this is a technical solution from MotoGP.
- “Twin Pulse” firing order
Another important technology is ignition as the source of power in the combustion chamber. In its superbike, they also apply Desmosedici GP technology where the crank pins wear offset 70°, the same as MotoGP.
They call it “Twin Pulse” firing order; this system will generate power which is easy to control with optimal traction on the cornering exit like the BIG BANG ignition effect, here is the unique of fireplaces/firing order system from Desmosedici Stradale, and as well as has a distinctive sound.
- Desmodromic system
Desmosedici Stradale is designed with the desmodromic system as the key of all motorcycle performance.
- Improvement of suspension
The suspension on The New Panigale V4 is equipped with a Showa brand with a large piston diameter of 43 mm / Big Piston Fork (BPF) and fully adjustable.
- Wheels and tires
New Panigale V4 is equipped with 3-bars Velg 3 aluminum cast. While the new version of Panigale V4 S and Panigale Speciale are equipped with 3-bars aluminum alloy type.
- New braking system
The braking sector is also updated on Panigale V4 with new Brembo Stylema® monobloc calipers combined with high-performance M50 calipers which entirely new.
- Racing Tank
Proximity New Panigale V4 with the world of racing is realized with a light aluminum tank with a capacity of 16 liters. Uniquely, there are some tank parts which are located under the seat, like a MotoGP bike today or maybe this is just one of the tricks in outsmarting the weight distribution.
- Innovative “Front Frame”
The renovated Front Frame becomes easily visible as part of this new motorcycle that blends with a practical fairing that can be tailored to its needs.
- “Double Layer” fairing
For the sake of convenience and integration, those things inspired designers to create fairing with a double layer solution. The main exterior that wraps the side view is made so as not to look elongated. Meanwhile, the secondary fairing serves as an air extractor on the engine cooling radiator.
- “Diamond” tanks
The flexibility of diamond tank model a Ducati typical gives the riders comfort when riding it.
- Beautiful little tail
Tail guard for single-seater version is becoming one part that implies this superbike is ready to be driven above the track.
All-New Panigale V4 MY 2018 Specification
- Displacement: 1103cc
- Cylinder: 4-cylinder
- Type: 90-degree V4 w/ counter-rotating crankshaft
- Compression ratio: 14.0:1
- Bore x stroke: 81 x 53.5mm
- Maximum power: 214 horsepower @ 13,000 rpm
- Maximum torque: 92 ft/lbs @ 10,000 rpm
- Fueling: Twin injectors per cylinder
- Valve train: Desmodromic w/ 4vpc
- Clutch: Hydraulically actuated
- Transmission: 6-speed w/ straight-cut gears
- Frame: Aluminum monocoque
- Rear suspension; travel: Fully adjustable Öhlins TTX36 shock w/ electronic damping adjustment and active suspension adjustment; 5.1 inches
- Front suspension; travel: Fully adjustable Öhlins NIX30 43mm fork w/ electronic damping adjustment and active suspension adjustment; 4.7 inches
- Wheels: 3-spoke forged aluminum
- Rear wheel: 3.50 x 17
- Front wheel: 6.00 x 17
- Tires: Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP
- Rear tire: 200/60 ZR17
- Front tire: 120/70 ZR17
- Rear brake: 245mm disc w/ 2-piston caliper
- Front brakes: Semi-floating 330mm discs w/ Brembo Stylema 4-piston calipers
- ABS: Bosch Cornering ABS Evo standard
Dimensions and Capacities
- Wheelbase: 57.8 inches
- Trail: 3.9 inches
- Rake: 24.5 degrees
- Seat height: 32.5 inches
- Estimated fuel consumption: 34 mpg
- Curb weight: 430 pounds
- Fuel capacity: 4.2 gallons / 15,8 liters
Ducati released 3 variants for this new Superbike. The following variants of All-New Ducati Panigale V4 2018 from the specifications, color choices, and price.
There is an interesting option where the three variants that can be applied KIT Racing and make the power increased to 226 HP. While the weight is also so much lighter about 30 kg from the original version … woohoow … fantastically amazing … !!!
- Horsepower: 157.5 kw (214 HP) @ 13,000 rpm
- Torque: 124 Nm @ 10,000 rpm
- Weight: 198 kg
- Color: Ducati Red with Gray Frame and Black Wheel
- Price: $21,195 (USA), £19,259 (UK)
Panigale V4 S-Type
- -Horsepower: 157.5 kw (214 HP) @ 13,000 rpm
- -Torque: 124 Nm @ 10,000 rpm
- -Weight: 195 kg
- -Color: Ducati Red with Gray Frame and Black Wheel
- -Price: $27,495 (USA), £23,495 (UK)
Panigale V4 Special-Type
- Horsepower: 157.5 kw (214 HP) @ 13,000 rpm
- Torque: 124 Nm @ 10,000 rpm
- Weight: 194 kg
- Color: “Speciale” color scheme with Gray Frame and Black Wheel
- Price: $39,995 (USA), £34,995 (UK)
- Full racing titanium Ducati Performance by Akrapovič exhaust system
- Racing screen
- Plate holder removal kit
- Machined-from solid mirror replacement plugs
- Ducati Data Analyzer + GPS (DDA + GPS)
- Bike cover
- * Units are limited to only 1,500 units
Pros and Cons
The pros of this superbike are located on the 4-cylinder engine from the previous version (2-cylinder). It means more power and produces a better sound characteristic. Plus, a bunch of MotoGP technologies applied on this motorcycle.
The cons of this superbike are the price is more expensive than the other competitors, especially from the Japan manufacturers. The last but not least is you cannot share another frame to your partner due to the single seater motorcycle.
What can I say any more, the Ducati Panigale V4 MY 2018 is a superb motorcycle. You can see from its design, 4-cylinder engine, MotoGP technologies and so on. Even the price is higher than the Japan manufacturers, but I think this superbike have a bunch of advantages that can make you fly to the sky while riding this superbike. See you …
Please leave a comment, give a rate and share if you like! Thanks ??
You might be interested in watching the videos below ??