Continuous Variable Transmission (CVT) is a transmission system that does not have a gear-shift like in a manual transmission car or a conventional automatic transmission car.
So, for the gear position of 1,2,3,4 remain on the first gear. Eventually, no need to pass the gear lever. Instead, two pulleys are used, namely the actuating pulley and the actuated pulley, both of which are connected with a belt (steel fiber belt).
The workings of CVT transmission is quite smooth, in addition, there is no knock due to the process of the gearshift, and also because of the transmission movement using a steel belt. But for the acceleration, CVT cars transmissions are not as good as conventional automatic and manual transmission cars.
Here are the advantages of CVT transmission compared with conventional manual and automatic transmissions:
- It’s easier to drive because it only stepped on acceleration and brakes only, we can equate it with riding an automatic motorcycle.
- Acceleration is softer without a knock on the gearshift.
- CVT has a strong brake engine power. So, if the CVT cars are passing through the way down, the work of the brakes is not too heavy than the conventional automobile.
- This transmission is also more fuel efficient because the use of engine rpm is relatively stable. In contrast to manual and automatic cars that always fluctuate when shifting gears.
In addition to having advantages, CVT transmission also has shortcomings, here are the shortcomings of CVT transmission:
- The weakness of the CVT transmission system is more difficult to repair when damaged because it has a complex system.
- CVT car transmissions cannot drive by a reckless person because the machine will be easily damaged.
Some examples of CVT transmissions such as Ford Fusion Hybrid, Honda Accord 2013 models, Honda Jazz, Honda Civic, Lexus CT200h, Mercedes-Benz A-Class, Toyota Yaris, Chery Tiggo, Daihatsu Mira, Fiat Punto, Chevrolet Spark, Honda Odyssey, Infiniti JX/QX60, Mitsubishi Lancer and many more. But you have to bear in mind that not all models on the cars above are already equipped with the CVT transmission.
Choosing the right car transmission to enhance the convenience is important. In addition to comfort, also for safety while driving. Thank you for reading this article, hopefully, it will be useful for you.
Please leave a comment, give a rate and share if you like! Thanks 🙂
You might be interested in watching the videos below 🙂